Fri, 18 Aug|
St George’s Anglican Church
Introduction to 4 Shaft Weaving - SOUTH 2023
Introduction to 4 shaft weaving workshop. This 2 day workshop to be held over two consecutive days In August 2023 and will teach the new weaver a step by step approach to weaving a scarf on a four shaft loom.
Time & Location
18 Aug, 10:00 am – 19 Aug, 4:00 pm
St George’s Anglican Church, 30 Cromwell St, Battery Point TAS 7004, Australia
About the Event
Cost: $120 members and $170 for non-members for the two days
Registration: Registration will open 21 July 2023 closes 10 August 2023 (or sooner if full) You can book by clicking here starting 21 July 2023..
This course is a step by step approach to weaving a scarf on a four-shaft loom.
The workshop is divided into 3 sections:
1. Organising a warp is covered with documentation
2. Preparing the loom for weaving
3. The weaving process
Completion of the weaving will be done in the student’s time.
Students will learn:
· the important language pertinent to weaving
· elements of cloth structure
· parts of the loom and other equipment.
· how to calculate the measurements needed for wool yarn.
· how a weaving structure is notated and how it relates to the loom and the weaving process.
· receive supporting notes.
· receive tutoring from very skilled and experienced tutors
· have a fun learning experience.
· make a lovely scarf of which to be proud
What to bring:
· Lunch and own mug, water bottle, own snacks
· Name Badge
· The beginnings of their own weaving kit: tape measure, scissors, tapestry needle, ruler with inches and centimetres, rubber bands. An empty shoebox ( or similar size) makes a great container.
· Shuttles if you have any (stick or boat)
· Pen and pencil, notebook
· Clipboard or large bulldog clip
· Reel of sticky tape/magic tape
· Bendigo 3ply yarn (Can be purchased from the Guild Yarn Store before or on the day) Recommended to purchase 100grams (minimum) each of 2 colours of own choice. Avoid very dark colours for warp for first project.
· A plastic Ashford threading device. It has hooks either end. Can be purchased from the Yarn Store and is part of your weaving kit.
· It is important that you bring your requirements for comfort and health. (e.g. reading glasses)
The workshop is for complete beginners as well as those who want to refresh their skills.
Guild warping boards will be used.
4 shaft looms can be hired, $5 per week if you live within the Hobart district, or bring your own. If you live outside of the Hobart environs, we ask that you arrange to borrow a small 4 shaft table loom from your own region. Contact the tutors if you need help with this.
(Talk with tutors before the workshop about a loom or your own loom before the workshop.)